Sunday, February 24, 2008

Communion

This is a blog I started a while back, yet never finished. I've typed the finish now and thought I'd go ahead and post it.

Have you ever thought about the significance of something as "simple" as communion? It's a special time. It's our reminder that Jesus' blood and body was a sacrifice for all the things we really stink at. It's a moving time for me to have communion presented in a fashion of "come when you're ready." The interesting thing about this to me is that I'm not sure we're ever truly "ready." None of us are deserving of the sacrifice that was made for us. That being said, knowing that the power of God, through His son and the Holy Spirit has made it possible for us to be worthy. When you think about the significance of how many times we, as Christians, screw up, you begin to realize the true importance of the blood and body that was shed. Next week is Easter and it reminds us the sacrifice that was made for us. I've stopped calling myself a Christian and started referring to myself as Servant. If I'm not a servant to God doing his will, it doesn't do me any good to call myself a Christian. The percentage of Americans who call themselves Christian is disturbing when you think about how many of those who call themselves Christians don't live as servants to Jesus Christ. It's a thought that's not necessarily very politically correct, but a realization I've come to over the last couple of months. Don't get me wrong here. We all struggle with sin. Lord knows I do. It's our role to rely on God to overcome our sin.

No comments: